Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Some people

I guess I just need to vent. I am so tired of people saying rude comments about people who adopt several children. I get them from people at work and all sorts of other who knows what to call them. Yes when we started out our journey several years ago we wanted to grow a family. We struggled through infertility but knew whether children happened biologically or not I always wanted to adopt one child from China. I was not sure at the time why this was on my heart but of course I knew it was God's way of saying you are open to adoption so who cares if you don't have a biological connection to a child. Anyway yes Lennah came to be because we wanted to parent a baby desperately. I didn't think so much about the plight of orphans at the time because our goal was parenting.
It wasn't until Delylah that it changed and became more than parenting. Reading her story that a woman thousands of miles away could not keep her because of dire poverty. I am not sure if she knew that the orphanage that Delylah would go to had dirt type floors, dirty bottles piled up in a basin, or that she would suffer through a diaper rash so bad that she screamed when she was changed. She probably just wanted her baby safe and fed. I can't imagine what she struggled with making that heart wrenching decision. I also cannot imagine what Delylah endured her first few months with people running an orphanage on such little resources and I am thankful that she won't remember the pain she was in when she got a diaper change.
For us our goals for our family changed. We added 3 more at one time. Children who grew up with little hope. Yes even here in America there are children are struggling with abuse, neglect, and numerous other issues. I also cannot truly envision what it was like for our older 3 growing up with littl guidance, little nourishment, and little emotional support on a daily basis. Hopefully they will heal and be able to fully love themselves and not feel less than loveable because someone else could not love them the right way when they were little.
Again our goals for our family changed and here comes another child. I guess my vent begins here. We do what our hearts lead us to. Some of us are led in different directions than others and that is ok. When asked about donating to one cause today that I supported already this year monetarily I received some rude comments.
So here is a close transcipt of my conversation

Me- Do I still owe money on my pledge for your cause?

Co-worker- No I checked but you can still put that check towards it.

Me- I replied that I gave my pladge for XXX amount of dollars. Right now we are strapping the belt for the adoption ( Again I gave a fair amount of money over several months to their benefit).

Co-worker- why do you keep adopting kids.

Me- when there aren't 147 million orphans in the world.

Co-worker- you can't save them all.

Me- No I can't but I know there will be one less.

People need to champion for their causes and without support cancer research, orphans, battered women and numerous other vital organizations would fail to exist and humanity would suffer.But to me you need to give where you feel led. I pledged a specific amount to that charity because I know on a montly basis we support a few that we feel led by God to give to. I was just angered by his comment and it was not the first one I received at work. I am also amazed because today's comment and another one I received several weeks ago were from Christians. I am a proud Christian but comments like this give us a bad rap. God tells us to support the orphans and widows. We are doing what he commanded. You might not have to support it financially because of course it is not where someone feels led but on an emotional level, as a fellow Christian, you should be supportive because it is what God tells us to do.
Sorry I just felt the need to vent.

3 comments:

Aja said...

Yikes, people can be so rude, or at least ignorant. We have just begun our adoption journey and I am amazed at how people just don't/can't understand why I want to adopt. I think, unfortunately, some people will never understand somethings.

Nicole said...

I think it is merely ignorance. And, people do not walk in your shoes so they just don't get it. Your choices are WAY different than mine, but I respect them and get them. Hang around more reasonable people.

Beth and Ryan said...

Love this post. Thanks for sharing!