Sunday, April 6, 2008

Worries

This is a little earlier for a post but I have to babysit a tote full of CRCT testing materials for my students and have a few minutes. Yesterday, a baby who was waiting to come home passed away at the same orphanage Delylah is at. This is not the first time something like this has happened; obviously you know this is you have read previous posts. What I am getting at is that I know it is no ones fault and certainly not the orphanages fault because they work with what they have. However, I am really freaked out because the numbers in Ethiopia for infant mortality is extremely high. One in ten do not make it to their first birthday and one in six do not make it to five. What I fear is if Delylah could be that one in ten? Your child is thousands of miles away and minor incidences could easily be remedied with medical care here. But over in Ethiopia what children need is not always available. I pray that Delylah stays safe and healthy and I never receive that phone call but we are no more worthy than others for our child to be saved. But I can't help but be thankful when it was not my child. I know that is selfish but it is true. I am not trying to be hurtful because I really do have sympathy and pray for these families that lose their little ones it just terrifies me to know that this could have easily been my call. I also have to add that for some reasons these fears are more apparent this time around because you hear of this happening more in Ethiopia than in Vietnam. With Lennah I was scared but not as much. In our 16 month journey for Lennah I only knew of this happening twice. In our short 4 month journey this has already happened 3 times that we know of (I am counting outside of our agency as well). We just need to pray for all these kids and for ourselves to not have so many selfish thoughts.

No comments: