Sunday, March 24, 2013

Day 2 China

Today was a very quiet first day. I stayed in the area and just looked around and shopped a little. There is a ton of shopping here some I will wouldn't be able to afford in a million years (the Louis Vuitton store is in the shopping mall connected to my hotel). But I just did the local shops and I was able to pick up a few gifts today for friends and family. I also ate McDonalds for lunch. Yep I am in China and ate McDonalds. My guide was only with me for a brief time today so I was solo and had no idea where the good local restaurants were. There do not seem to be many people around who speak english so it would be really hard to go into a restaurant and have no idea what you are ordering. There is also a KFC and pizza hut in the area. KFC will only be eaten if I get desperate. I did eat dinner at the hotel tonight and that was good but it definitely was not as cheap as McDonalds. I will say a Big Mac combo cost me a whopping 19 yuan, actually is was $3.19 in US money much cheaper than in Dallas GA. I was excited about my shopping. I found a kitchen apron with Keith's name in it. It seems that there is some popular dog something or other and they go by Oscar, Keith, and Bobby so it has a picture of 3 dogs with each name on it. Keith's dad is Bobby so it was kind of a hoot to find an item in China that had both their names on it. I also picked up these lotions for 3 of my students. I happened to do this project with my kids in school where they had to open a business in Africa and create a product from a resource. Anyway they choose petroleum and were making lotions (yes there is a small amount of petroleum in some lotions). They had used a picture of there product from some hand lotion that came in a bee that they found on the internet. So I was in this shop and low and behold there was the lotion. I had to get it for the girls and can't wait to give it to those student when I get back. That was really it for today. In a little more than 12 hours I will finally meet baby girl. Hopefully I will be able to sleep tonight.
My hotel


Street vendors

Yep it's universal


I thought it was funny that they sold TV's on the street

No comments: