Saturday, March 23, 2013

In Hohhot China

After 32 hours and several hours of sleep I can officially say I am in Hohhot China. It is hard to believe in a day and a half we will finally have baby Taite. This has certainly been a long road.
I guess to tell about my journey I started with a 15 hour flight into Seoul, Korea. The flight was not bad at all. I did get stuck in front of a guy who licked kicking the seat but in between that I did manage to see some zzzz's. I then had an 8 hour layover in the airport in Korea. It is one of those places that if you are going to have to have a layover you will be happy it's there. I just hung out, got some homework done, and did get to have Starbucks (Yeah). It was an exceptionally clean and very friendly airport. While I was there they also had a cool royal family processional reenactment that I got to see.
The next flight was from Seoul to Jinan China. The flight was fine but I will definitely say the last leg of my journey became very boring and blahhhh. Jinan China started out with an extra baggage fee (yep) because I couldn't check my bags all the way through I got stuck because in country China flights only allow one 44lb bag. Since I am traveling without Keith I had to take a second bag for Taite's things. Then when I went to go pay the fee they didn't take debit cards and no one spoke english. Then for an international airport someone would need to explain to me why they did not have a currency exchange because I couldn't pay the fee in US. They then sent me to the ATM and it was all in Chinese. How do you withdraw money if you cannot read the screen? Finally the lady came back over to help me and I paid the stinkin' fee.
When I finally got around to waiting for my in country flight it was delayed. After 24 hours of travel I was not happy about this. Then I had to go use the bathroom and of course it was the hole in the ground potties in the bathroom. I highly recommended finding an alternative route to other areas in China rather than hitting up Jinan international airport. So I hit the gate and wait to get on my flight. Some guy sits down behind me and begins to eat the most foul smelling food I had ever smelled. Finally after several hours in this less than fun airport I had to do the Asia let's all run to the check in to get on the plane deal. I am not quite sure why in Asia they refuse to call people by rows and everyone does the mass exodus to the gate but it was awful when Keith and I went to Vietnam to get Lennah and things certainly have not improved in Asian boarding scenarios since then. Everyone pushes regardless if their are eldery or children; it is absolutely the worst boarding process ever. Then everyone is stopping to put up their carry ons on the plane and blocks the aisles. Common sense people board the back of the plane first and then move towards boarding the front of the plane's rows. Hopefully at some point Asia will get the memo on how to board flights.
Finally after 32 hours my plane finally landed. Thank goodness my guide was there when I got out. She seems like a lovely lady. I am staying at a really nice hotel in Hohhot and was amazed at how beautiful the city was as we drove through it. Hopefully this week there will be some great sighseeing. Whew at least I am finally here.
Royal Reanactment in Korean Airport

Yeah Breakfast in Korea

Jinan airport. Yeah it looks nicer here than it really was.

No comments: